Are your breasts really little murderous sacks of flesh that have no purpose after feeding your babies? ThereÕs some truth to the fear of breast cancer, but also some fictions as well.
Evolution and Breasts
- The permeability of breasts, and in particular their sensitivity to estrogen, helps foster puberty in girls and makes them capable of producing breast milk in their teens. But that permeability means that breasts are also unsheltered, relatively speaking, to contaminants in the environment.
- Scientific studies have shown that men’s eyes zoom to a woman’s breasts within milliseconds of first seeing her female image. Evolution posits that the size and shapes of a woman’s breasts marked how fertile she was, while the largeness of her hips hinted at how many children she could bear.
- The most common bra cup size in the US used to be a B, but it has now become C largely due to the increasing “girth” of people in general from over-eating.
Are your Breasts at Danger of Breast Cancer?
- Because breasts are masses of fatty tissue, chemicals can accumulate there and increase your risk of breast cancer. These are environmental contaminants (such as dry-cleaning fluids, toilet deodorizers, additives found in cosmetics, gasoline, fungicides and rodent poisons). Even ordinary house dust contains the dangerous PBDE chemical (a flame retardant) that can become trapped in the fatty tissues of breasts. Men who have worked on Superfund sites (heavily polluted) have also come down with breast cancer.
- The following are potential breast cancer risk factors:
- A womanÕs age.
- Her family history of cancer.
- Her race.
- Her weight and whether obesity exists.
- If she went through an early puberty or a late menopause./li>
- Take note that the oft cited statistic of “1 in 8 women are at risk for breast cancer” is the lifetime cumulative risk of getting breast cancer for a woman who lives to the age of 85. The current life expectancy for an American woman is at 81 now, so the average woman will not even live to 85. There is only one statistic that should concern you and that is what the risk is for someone your age. We know the risk is 1 in 8 for a woman at 85. But a woman at age 70 has about a 1 in 25 chance of getting breast cancer. The risk is constantly changing throughout a woman’s life depending on her age.
Self-Examinations for Breast Cancer
Please remember that the best way to stop feeling helpless in the face of potential breast cancer is to perform self-examinations. Early detection is one of the best defenses against breast cancer. Breast self-exams should be performed systematically: spend minutes going over each breast so you can fully and thoroughly cover the entire area of each one. And not all breasts are of the same consistency: some breast types make breast self examinations more difficult: very firm, breasts or others that have a rope-like density to them can hinder probing fingers from finding a nascent tumor.
http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.php #An important gallery of breasts in all shapes and sizes that helps foster accepting breasts as they really are.