It’s estimated that three out of every four people are magnesium deficient. What compounds the problem is that many people can’t dietary forms of magnesium that aren’t very absorbable by the body. Magnesium supplementation helps the body to utilize enzymes properly, which results in the following positive benefits:
- restless leg syndrome
- high blood pressure
Not all magnesium that you buy from the health food store is created equal. Some inferior forms of magnesium supplements include the following:
- Magnesium pills – Magnesium oxide & magnesium lactate. These pills are not the most bioavailable forms of magnesium and aren’t well absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Liquid magnesium Ð Although we see more and more “ionic magnesium” being sold in health food stores as a readily assimilated form of magnesium, have you ever tasted it? I’ve tried it, and it tastes like battery acid. I also had a stomachache after taking a dropperful of the ionic magnesium so I won’t be buying it again.
So now that we shared what not to take, how about some good forms of magnesium supplements?
- Powdered magnesium – This is a great way to take your magnesium as it’s in a form that the body recognizes. You’ll need to work up to taking a full teaspoon of the powder a day as too much magnesium can cause loose stools. Since having an empty stomach helps magnesium absorption, powdered magnesium is a great supplement to take right before bed. The most popular flavors are lemon, orange and raspberry and it makes a slightly fizzy drink when poured into water. The most popular powdered magnesium appears to be Peter Gillham’s Natural Calm Mag Supplement, but there are many brands that are just as good. For example, Natural Factors has a product that is marketed for women.
- Magnesium-lysine chelate – I know that earlier I said that pills were bad, but this form of a magnesium pill seems to be readily absorbed by the body. Also known as magnesium glycinate, lysine is bound to the magnesium molecule (a process known as chelation) so that the magnesium is more usable to the body. Of the few brands I’ve tried, I’ve been happy with the Doctor’s Best brand.
Getting More Magnesium from Your Diet
Sometimes the best way to get more of a vitamin or mineral like magnesium is to include some different foods in your diet. These can include the following:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale.
- Nuts like brazil nuts, cashews, walnuts and almonds.
- Seeds like pumpkin and squash seeds.
- Baked potatoes.