Information on Prescription Drugs and Medication
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research – http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Drug Evaluation and Research has information about prescription and over-the-counter drugs, drug recalls, medical devices, and more.
- Drugs.com – http://www.drugs.com
This site includes a database with peer-reviewed, accurate drug information for both prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices – http://www.ismp.org/consumers/default.asp
This site is managed by the Institute for Safe Medication Practices to educate the health care community and consumers about using medicine, throwing away old medicine, and preventing drug errors.
- Regulation of Nonprescription Products – http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/default.htm
FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research with information about the review process and guidelines for over-the-counter drugs and their safe use.
- Safe Medication – http://www.safemedication.com
This site is sponsored by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists, a professional association, and provides detailed information on using medicines correctly for both consumers and pharmacists.
Resources on Various Health Topics
- CDC Health Topics A to Z – http://www.cdc.gov/DiseasesConditions/
This website, sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, includes information about infectious diseases all over the world. You can learn about disease symptoms, parts of the world where the disease can be found, and ways to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Diabetes Recognition Program – http://www.ncqa.org/tabid/139/Default.aspx
Developed by the National Committee for Quality Assurance, this site lists physicians and other clinicians who use evidence-based measures and provide care to diabetic patients.
- DiagKNOWsis.org – http://www.DiagKNOWsis.org
This site will help you take the proper steps to fully research your diagnosis or condition.
- Heart/Stroke Recognition Program – http://www.ncqa.org/hsrp
This site recognizes physicians who have provided excellent health care to patients who have a cardiovascular disease or who have had a stroke.
- National Cancer Institute – http://www.cancer.gov
This site provides comprehensive information on types of cancer, cancer treatments, definitions of cancer vocabulary, cancer tests, and other related topics.
- National Institute on Aging – http://www.nia.nih.gov
This site and organization are dedicated to understanding the causes of aging and supporting the health and well-being of aging adults.
- Cochrane Collaboration – http://www.cochrane.org
This international not-for-profit network maintains a searchable database called a “webliography” of evidence-based clinical studies.
Health Rights and Advocacy Organizations
- Health Privacy Project – http://www.cdt.org/issue/health-privacy
The nonprofit Center for Democracy and Technology maintains this website providing information on how to keep your medical information private.
- National Women’s Health Information Center – http://www.womenshealth.gov/
The site, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, was established to improve women’s health. The site offers other related information on minority health, pregnancy, breastfeeding, menopause, body image, and more.
- Office for Civil Rights–HIPAA – http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy
This site provides information on health privacy, health rights, FAQs, and filing complaints to the federal Office for Civil Rights, which enforces the HIPAA privacy rule.
- Patient Advocate Foundation – http://www.patientadvocate.org
The Patient Advocate Foundation runs this site to provide case management assistance, co-pay relief, and scholarships for survivors of certain diseases.
- The Resource Locator, Medicare.gov – http://www.medicare.gov/navigation/resource-locator/resource-locator-overview.aspx
This site is a significant resource with links to comparisons between and information about drug plans, health plans, Medigap policies, hospitals, Medicare-certified home health agencies, nursing homes, a formulary finder, durable medical equipment, protheses, prosthetic devices, orthotics, dialysis facilities, and much more.